Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Old Pics of Chicago from Life Magazine Archives

Google has old photos from Life magazine. There are many photos of Chicago included in this collection. I love history. I love Chicago. I can spend hours looking at the photos in this collection. I take myself back in time, wondering about the mindset of the era and what my place in life would have been back then. My father was picking crops in Michigan in 1944.

 The randomness of thought bounce through my mind...a thousand thoughts and words.

I wonder what church is in the background?

There are no buildings or porches like this where I now live in Utah. I, like millions of others from Chicago, have many childhood memories of playing on these type of porches.

The above is a photo from 1944, taken by Gordon Coster. It is described as "Vacant lots and tenement buildings in the slums of Chicago."

I was born in the Halstead-Roosevelt area. I wonder where these houses were and if they survived the destruction of the neighborhood in the early 60s.

The one thing I immediately noticed was that someone was growing crops in these open lots. Cities are going back to urban gardening and here, 60 years ago, someone had an impressive urban garden going on. I wonder if it was the work of one family-the owner of the lots?- or if it was the work of the community.

I also like the make-shift fencing that one would never see today in the city. It would rightfully be considered an eyesore and it would be against zoning laws. Back then it worked. It served the purpose. It kept kids and animals from trampling on the seedlings.


Heck, I think that the black iron wrought fences that are now prevalent in Pilsen are tremendous gaudy eye sores. They protect no seedlings from suffering from the trampling of the neighborhood kids and pets.

(Poor dog in Pilsen is gated AND chained. In Salt Lake City, it would be against the law to chain a dog up like this for the day. Not much of a life for this dog.)





The above is also from 1944 and also shot by Coster. I wonder if the boy was actually playing ball or if he was only posing for the photographer. I think he was posing.

The building looks so beaten by time and neglect. If it exists today, I could not afford to buy it.

A woman, taking pride, is walking with a broom to rearrange the dirt and the dust from her stairs out to the sidewalk.

When I was a teen in Pilsen, we had concrete stairs like in the photo. It was a popular hang out. We called them "The Stairs."

The spacing between the buildings, or lack of, is something one does not see here in Utah. When I talk to people about the buildings in older Chicago they usually are amazed by how close the buildings are in these older neighborhoods.

These kids in the pic would be in their late 70s or early 80s, if they are still alive.

My grandparents rented a flat in an old wooden house around the corner from the old Goodrich School. They actually had a small front yard. A cherry tree grew there. Kids would climb their front stairs to reach the cherries. Free treats on Peoria Street.

There is now a UIC parking lot, next to a ball field, where the cherry tree once grew.


View Larger Map
My grandfather would throw pieces of fish at the horde of alley cats who would gather for his offerings. I can remember the skeletal remains of the fish in the back yard and the alley.

The alley was where the slow-walking, tough-looking cats and the dirty-looking drunks could be found.

Some people actually lived under sidewalks or slept in old abandoned sheds with the rats. I would run fast the other way whenever I would see them.

I remember a live chicken running around in my grandparents' kitchen. I most likely ate her that night, or the next day, with a home-made flour tortilla.

My grandparents gave me a jalapeno to eat when I was 5. They laughed when I cried. I laugh at the memory. I see nothing abusive about what they did; today, children protective services would investigate it.


The above photo is from 1954-Chicago. It was taken by Fritz Goro.

I am old enough to remember when everyone would dry clothes on a clothes line.

I would play with my mother's clothes pins.

I still wear the scar on my foot when a bunch of kids, siblings included, ran me over while I played at the top of the stairs of an old wooden porch. I remember laying on my back at the bottom of the stairs, blood on my foot.

It was one of the few times I ever ate ice cream as a kid. Ice cream is the best medicine for kids. I still use it for medicinal purposes.
Urban garden in the Taylor Street area, 1953. My grandmother is on the far right.


Goodrich School. Demolished in 1963 to make room for the Circle Campus, now known as UIC. The school was on Taylor and Sangamon. The famed Mexican-American writer and poet, Ana Castillo, was a student at Goodrich when it was destroyed. I was a 1st grader for its last year. My mother attended k-8 at Goodrich.




Any copyrighted material from other sources used on this site is for educational purposes only. For more information about fair use and copyright information go here:Fair Use

3 comments:

Soul18 said...

I happen to stumble upon your blog. I also grew up in Pilsen near 18th Place and Ashland and knew some of the people you mention. I went to grammer school with China and I remember Sid (who was called Whitey), and Magilla Burnett, and I even remember your brother's tragic accident but I cannot recall his face. I'm so sorry you suffered so much as a child. Your anger and subsequent behavior was not surprising. I was lucky and grew up with strict loving parents (although not perfect) and I do wonder what was the factor that made the difference in wanting to do better and not get caught up in the "ghetto" life. I was at Froebel the year we took it over. Actually I was one of the main organizers. Let me know if there is another way of contacting you other than this blog. Thanks!

Indigenous Xicano said...

I knew Sid Stafford when he was just Sid. I was still friends with him after he started hanging with the Deuces and became Whitey. My brother was one of the Morgan Deuces at that time-Crazy Joe.

I felt for his mother after he died. He was her only child unless she had older children who no longer lived with her. I am almost sure he was the only child.

She would look for him every night and he would run and hide from her.

I missed the take over of Froebel. I was visiting a seminary in Liberty, Missouri the week that it happened. It was big news when I came home. If I can remember correctly, one of my brother's friends was arrested at the takeover. He lived on Miller Street but I cannot remember his name.

As for strict parents, as I look back and think about the kids who successfully navigated the neighborhood, they all had strict and caring parents.

Indigenous Xicano said...

I can be reached at utahaztec@gmail.com